Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Amazing Lemon BARS

I love lemon bars and have searched for years for one I think is the best.  Needless to say I have claimed several.  I started with one and moved on to another, then another and on and on.  Well this one it now my favorite.  I think the difference is the zest in this one.  It comes from the famous  Barefoot Contessa  on the Food Network.  I hope you enjoy the buttery crust with the gooie tart filling dusted with powdered sugar to sweeten it up.  I know my friends and family love the delicate combination of flavors and textures.  

Ingredients
For the crust:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature 
crust


1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the filling:
7 large or 6 extra-large eggs at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2-4 lemons) Don't bother with purchased lemon juice.  Its just not the same.
1 cup flour

Confectioners' sugar, for dusting



Directions


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dup the dough into a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking sheet.   Flatten the dough with floured hands and press firmly building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides. 
Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Leave the oven on.



For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
Just before serving dust with powdered sugar.


Ready to eat!




25 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this recipe and for all your other ones from previous years. They all sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love baking. I hope you try one of the recipes and enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. They look delicious! I will definitely be making these and Ron will be so happy...he loves lemon bars. Thanks for sharing your recipe sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried a lot and I do think this is the best.

      Delete
  3. I will have to try these. A good lemon bar is always hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so simple. I think you'll enjoy them.

      Delete
  4. This looks divine, I would like to try these, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are simple and are good days later. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I need a good lemon bar recipe. I planted a lemon tree last year and it already has about a dozen lemons which should be ready to pick in about a month. My mouth is watering already to try these bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fresh lemons would really make this recipe Devine

      Delete
  6. How wonderful that you've done all this research on lemon bars so that we (I) can have the best recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy it. It's so perfectly sweet and tart. We just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really am going to have to try these. They look delish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On my list...hubby's favourite sweet! Sounds easy enough!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Brenda - oh, mmmm. I can just feel the zing of those lemon bars. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the word zing. It is a perfect description.

      Delete
  11. I Love lemon bars and anything Ina Garten prepares. Yours look so delicious! Thank you for hopping and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These lok great. I love lemon bars, but mine always seem runny, I am going to try these. I have lemons sitting in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never made a lemon bar before, but a friend of mine has and they are delicious. Thank you for your recipe. I'll have to give it a try. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never made a lemon bar before, but a friend of mine has and they are delicious. Thank you for your recipe. I'll have to give it a try. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lemon flavored desserts are my most favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love lemon bars but have never made them. These look SO good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lemon bars - so refreshing and light to offset all the heavy eating I seem to do at this time of year. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete